Internet Download Manager gives you the tools to download many types of files from the Internet and organize them as you see fit. You can categorize each file as you download it, and then access all downloads right from the app’s main interface.
Speedy: Most short video files are downloaded almost instantly. As soon as you click “Download,” a message pops up telling you the process is complete. You can then play the video immediately, or return to your browser to find more clips.
Browser integration: Since this app integrates with your browser, it can automatically detect when a downloadable file is present on a Web page and inserts a Download button onto the page. All you have to do is click the button and enter a description to begin the downloading process.
Contextual help: If you get stuck at any point while you’re using the program, you can press “F1” to bring up a Help topic for the area of the program that you’re in.
Clunky interface: The main interface of this app gets the job done, but it doesn’t have the most intuitive setup. Novice users should have no trouble completing basic downloads, but to take advantage of some of the more advanced features or to change the preferences, you need to have a little bit of technical know-how.
This is a good basic download manager, with a nice set of features, although it could be organized a little better.
What’s new in this version:
Version 6.28 build 9:
- Fixed problem with erroneous interceptions of files in Firefox
- Fixed problems with Chinese captions on the “Download panel”
- Improved IDM download engine
- Added a feature to the settings of schedulers to go into sleep mode or hibernate when downloading is done
- Improved “download panel” view on high DPI displays
- Improved video recognition in web players
- Added support for Firefox 53, 54, 55